Spring Break 3: Capitol Day!!
Hey Everyone!
So, now we come to the big event of Spring Break. About a month ago, I was chosen to be the Dordt representative at Iowa Private Colleges Day. This meant I got to spend a day at the Capitol buildinig in Des Moines presenting a paper that I wrote and talking about Dordt College to the visitors and legislators. Today was the day! Sam and I left at about 8:15 for the Capitol. We hit a bit of traffic, a lot of red lights, and no parking, but we were finally there at 9:30. Dr. Taylor already had the display set up, so we got right to work. There was a convention of Iowa home-schoolers there that day, which was entirely unexpected. But it was a blessing because it meant the Capitol was very busy and also we met a lot of prospective students. I spent the next hours meeting people, talking about my research, and talking about Dordt. Sam was there supporting me the whole time, which was awesome. It was such a blessing to have him there. About 12:00 the senators from our district stopped by the table. We got to talk to them, and then they took us to the Chamber where all the delgations take place. There were a lot of people working in there, but they were not in session. I got to sit in the head chair, and we took a picture with the senators and also the representatives from Northwestern College. That was so cool! Dr. Taylor took us out to eat at Spaghetti Works in downtown Des Moines. After my time presenting at the Capitol was over, Sam and I were treated to a night in Des Moines. We went to the Science Center of Iowa, to the Machine Shed for dinner, and then to Cheesecake Factory for dessert. We were so stuffed by the end of the night! It was worth it though, we had an amazing day. Enjoy the pictures!
Meg
Me in front of our presentation. We were right in the rotunda, in the middle of the action!
This is what the dome looked like. I could see this when I looked straight up from where I was presenting.
This is a view of the second level of the rotunda. We were on the first level.
Here are Sam and I with Dr. Taylor, the Northwestern representatives, and the Senators inside the Chamber.
Sam and I in the Chamber.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home