From the Mouths of...Kindergarteners!
Ha ha ha...so, since I've finally broken back in to the world of blogging, I decided I'd blog twice in one day! How's that for efficiency? I thought I'd share some of the great things that happen at school. Here's a peek into my day:
1) I was working on the playground. Out of the blue, a little boy runs up to me, breathless but ready to share something (seemingly) very important. He takes a huge breath, and then says: "Hi, you don't know me, but you have small skin!" He then beams his great gap-toothed grin, and saunters off. Small skin? Yeah, I don't get it. But apparently, from a 5 year old, this is a great compliment!
2) During calendar time one morning, one of my students was on the verge of tantrum. I went to ask him what was wrong, and he said he couldn't sit criss-cross applesauce like the rest of the class. I asked him why, and he said his knee hurt. I replied: "You can't sit on your BOTTOM because your KNEE hurts?" He looked at me like I'd grown two heads, and then replied, "Yeah, bottoms are connected to knees!"
3) At lunch, I was concentrating on my peanut butter sandwich (and was trying to ignore my students - lunch is supposed to be my 20 minutes of peace - but my students seem to think it's a great time to interrupt my lunch. I love them, but sometimes I like to actually be able to finish lunch before they do!) when I overheard one of my students lunch conversations. It was too great to ignore. I put down my sandwich and listened: "Did you know that milk is cow pee? You can't drink it! It will make you sick!" All this was stated while downing an entire container of milk. Do you remember the days when what your peers said was pure truth? Anyway, trying to quelch this rumor, I said: "No, milk is not cow pee" to which I got the reply: "I know that, but they don't!" as he gestured to his friends.
4) While reading a book called "Yummy, Yummy" during a guided reading group, one of my students exclaimed: "Wow, I really like this book. All the food that he [the character] likes, I like too. All the food in the world is DELICIOUS!"I smiled at him, enjoying his pleasure from his book. A few minutes later, the book got to a page about lima beans. My student looked back at me, made a funny face, and said "Lima beans? They are not delicious. This book is all wrong!" I like how quickly his opinions change! :-)
There are so many more to share, but I think that's enough for now. I hope that you have enjoyed a peek into the world of Kindergartners. I love them!
Meg


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home