Snow Skies and Apple Pies
Hey Everyone,
It's been quite the start of a weekend here in good old Iowa. First, IT SNOWED! Yes, it is only October 10, but it's the truth. Last night I was heading back to my apartment from the Humble Bean and started noticing some snowflakes. Thinking it was not possible (being the beginning of October) I stopped and looked around. Sure enough, we had flurries. I raced back to the apartment, grabbed my toque and my roommate Rachel, and we headed off to run outside. We ran by Southview and then just spun in the snowflakes. It was fun.
Rachel and I - it's cold! But snow is fun. :-)
So, the flurries were fun and all, but I never expected any of it to stick. And that was fine with me, there is plenty of time for that snow stuff later. The leaves haven't even turned colors yet! But, much to my surprise (and chagrin) this is what I woke up to this morning.
That's right everybody, true snow. The kind where you can actually tell it snowed. We ended up with about an 1/8th of an inch, just enough to make everything white and pretty this morning. Right now it's about 2:00 pm and all of it is gone. But it was fun while it lasted.
This morning, I decided to restore some of the fall spirit by baking apple pies. Now, this is something I had never tried before. I can't say the results were perfect, but it was fun to try. I only made one pie (so far, our oven needs to be cleaned before I can make any more - we had smoke issues...) and we gave the pie to the boys next door. It was hilarious to watch their expressions when we dropped it off. They were saying things like: "Don't mess with us. This is just cruel." and then when we told them it was for them to eat they wanted to know what the catch was. They didn't believe it was just for them to eat. Pretty hilarious, but fun when they were really appreciative of my efforts later. Below are two pictures of my pie:
That's all for now! I wonder what else the weekend will bring? :-)
Meg


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home