Living...Laughing...and Loving Life

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Great Camping Adventure - Part 1

Hi Everyone,

So, over this past week I got to have an amazing experience. Sam's family took me on a camping and fishing trip to Decorah, Iowa. Decorah is way up in the northeastern corner of Iowa, and, let me tell you, it doesn't look anything like the Iowa I've seen before! Tall bluffs (they look like real hills, amazing isn't it?), forests, and streams were everywhere.


We left on Sunday afternoon. Once we arrived at the campground, we started setting up camp. What a process! I never realized how much was involved in setting up one camper and two tents. I was completely ignorant about everything, so I spent most of my time watching and trying to learn so I could help take down at the end of the week. Here are some pictures of the campsite.


The campsite. I stayed in the tent that is furthest away in this picture.

My tent.

Then we took a quick walk around camp. Sharlee and I went down to one of the streams and went wading. I quickly understood why these were called "cold water streams". With water at about 50 degrees, my feet quickly turned numb. But it was worth it. :) The rest of the family went fishing.

Sharlee LOVED the water.

Sharlee and I.

After the campsite was set up, we went to the Decorah Hatchery. This is where they raise trout to be released into the streams. They have a cool waterfall and you can see all the trout in their pens. I discovered that if you stick your finger near the water, the trout will come up and bite you! I didn't know trout had teeth before! I was very surprised. :)

Sam and I at the Decorah Hatchery.

Well, that's it for now. There's much more to come, once I get another chance to post. :)

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home